The mega-sanctuary above Perushtitsa - phenomena and mysteries
Around the ancient megalithic sanctuary in the fan-shaped on the steep slope of the Rhodopes just above the city are not only scattered tiles of ritually broken pottery for thousands of years, but also secrets of unceasing magical practices. Five kilometers in the mountains south of Perushtitsa lies a still unknown sacred complex. By car you can reach the road that continues uphill over the city to the villages of Skobelevo and Churen, stopping at the parking lot near the turnoff for the monastery "St. St. Theodore Tyrone and Theodore Stratilat ”and continued on foot along the dirt road near the ruins of the holy monastery.
Although the impressive menhirs of its megalithic sanctuary can be seen from the city, it is still a traditional destination mainly for treasure hunters. The experienced eye immediately recognizes the usual (and mandatory for ancient sanctuaries!) Elements that serve its sacredness. Fortunately, a well-maintained asphalt road through the mountains to the village of Churen passes not far from the sacred clearing, where former worshipers ritually washed their bodies before stepping into the clearing.
When at the end of the VI century the monastery "St. St. Theodore Tyrone and Theodore Stratilat ”, its water flowed into the monastery fountain. Now, among the abundant bushes, it is difficult to see the remains of the medieval monastic monastery, destroyed by the Turks during the conquest of Bulgaria in the XIV century, then - in 1657, 1778 and 1876, when it was finally devastated.
It is inevitable that the sacred territory of the ancient sanctuary will be protected from the surrounding river. Unsupported for centuries, the waterless Monastery Valley remains. On a leveled square above it at the foot of the steep slope, it is now difficult to find the remains of the foundations of the buildings where the people who served the household needs of the followers of the rock sanctuary in the heights lived. It is obviously no coincidence that the rock crown of the megalithic sanctuary unfolds as a kind of reflector in the direction of the two most famous sacred sites on the other side of Perushtitsa: the Red Church (early Christian basilica / monastery of the 4th century, national cultural monument) and Duhovi mogi (mysterious Thracian earthen structure around which 16 chariots were buried together with the horses in pits 4 meters apart).
After the management of the Historical Museum in Perushtitsa was assigned to the Doctor of Cultural Studies Assoc. Prof. Veselina Vachkova, we toured the territory of the sanctuary-temple complex with her. Among the first finds that will enrich the museum windows are countless pottery pottery, brought for centuries by worshipers to their ancient gods. Because the gifts were sent to the afterlife, they destroyed them here by smashing them near the "portals" in the sacred rocks.
The story of the various megaliths and the sacred signs that are on them would be too long. But he will not be late - with amazing details and thoroughly illustrated. The most astonishing discovery in this drilling study was that the sanctuary complex was still a base for residual mysteries. On the ritual platform above the huge rocks in front of the imposing menhir lay (apparently ritually placed) a knife, carefully cut from… window glass (!).
Perushtitsa is on the straight line between the megalithic sanctuary above Manastirski skali and Duhova Mogila with the Red Church in front of it. He lives in the middle of the secrets around them with his terrible (and still meaningless) ritual self-sacrifice of his holy apostles in the April Uprising.
And the answers are ripe! First of all, you need a comfortable to walk and pleasant to walk eco-trail through the holy monastery to the sacred rock phenomena and regular announcements of new discoveries to attract people with the spiritual capacity to appreciate the amazing things in the sacred sites.